Wednesday, September 12

settling in

My studies have started in earnest, and I`m trying to get my mind around the fact I do, in fact, live here in Tampere now. Not to say that`s a bad thing; it`s just a new thing, after seven years in Helsinki, and I wonder how long it`ll take until I stop feeling like I`m only visiting.





My tiny room is in the top floor of a 1940`s house. The neighbourhood is quiet, going from my place to the university (2.5 km - one mile) I walk mostly past houses as old or older, some with nice gardens. There`s also a fairly large park nearby. Unfortunately I live opposite a warehouse, and there are some more warehouses or industrial buildings (and not the pictoresque 18th century ones) behind that... But I try not to walk that way.





On the photo above is the house I live in. You wouldn`t believe there are nine flats in that house, would you? My flat is in quite a poor condition, I think nothing`s been done there in about 40 years, but that`s what you get wanting to live cheap, I guess... But it`s not as cute as you think by looking at the house! It wouldn`t be that bad if the guy who lived there had cleaned the flat even once while living there - it certainly looks like he never did. Let`s just say that I was close to tears when I first went there after I got the keys and saw the place without furniture hiding the dirt (yes, actual dirt). It is getting gradually better, but still a lot of scrubbing to do...

On the plus side: this photo is taken from my window. In the evenings the scent of apples greet me as I come home. Brings me joy every time.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ihanan näköistä :)

Maria said...

Nice house!

kristy said...

i have just found your blog - i love your photos. it looks so bright and sunny where you live!

kristy said...

i have just found your blog - i love your photos. it looks so bright and sunny where you live!

scaredy-cat said...

Thanks for your nice comments, all!