Monday, January 26

snow and super-easy bread






This weekend was spent cleaning up a little, sewing curtains, trying to concentrate on some of my assignments, baking super-easy bread - and eating lots and lots of it - and taking a bath (among rose petals, no less... today I smell really good). I like weekends like this, with nothing special to do - although of course I like weekends with something special to do too, at least if that something is fun.





The super-easy bread (which we Finns call tea bread, although I'm not so sure if it has anything to do with, say, Irish tea bread) is so easy to bake you can bake it on a Sunday morning when you find out you're out of bread. It's even easy enough you'll have energy to bake it after a long day during the week. For me, there's something really comforting about eating bread still warm enough for butter to melt on it; it can really turn the dreariest day a little bit better. The super-easy bread is also super good eaten on a winter afternoon with tea or hot chocolate, watching the snow envelope the world outdoors and create new, soft shapes. And lately, there's been a lot of that around here.




I think most Finns have made this in school. I asked miss J how she makes this, so this is her recipe. Thank you miss J!


Super-easy bread recipe (U.S. / metric measurements)*

2 cups / 4 dl of plain flour
2 cups / 4 dl of rolled oats
2 cups / 4 dl of water
1/2 cup / 1 dl of melted butter / canola oil
1 1/4 tsp / 1 tsp of baking powder
1 1/4 tsp / 1 tsp of salt


Mix everything together, and spread it evenly (or as evenly as you can - don't worry if it looks lumpy) on a large baking pan. Bake in 390 F/ 200 C from 20 to 25 minutes. Enjoy! (I suggest enjoying with cream cheese and jam. Mmm.)


*The amount of baking powder & salt in the U. S. version is an approximate amount, based on the fact that 4 dl is only 85% of 2 cups. ...I don't know if this makes it at all clearer, though...



5 comments:

Michelle said...

ohhh, snow like this makes bread taste even better!

Wondering Helen said...

Thank you for the info--and for checking out my blog!

Cozy winter wishes to you.

sara said...

oh snow, must be ten years or so since I walked in a snowy landscape. By the way I really like your hairstyle!

isoinpapu said...

Teeleipä, iltapalan pelastaja, superleipä.

Suomi näyttää aika upealta nyt. Kyllä meidän kelpaa.

jo :: feather and thread said...

beautiful snowy pics...x